Friday, October 9, 2009

going on separate paths

Tom went to a baseball doubleheader in a magnificent baseball facility 45 minutes away, and I went to coach the Bad News Bruins. I dont know who fared worse: Tom had 5 errors at short and a meltdown on the mound, I yelled my bloody head off at a bunch of pee wees who dont even remember what it's like to win a game. they are playing two excellent opponents this weeknd. I'll be splitting early from game one and will be AWOL with my brothers enjoying a reunion in central Maine while Tom soldiers on.

I called him on his ride back and he was having fun with his baseball buddies, so he apparently recovered.

Our D cant make a pass coming out from behind the net, uncontested, to the wing planted on the boards offering a target. Whoa. I guess the goal now is to try and make it fun before we lose them entirely. Maybe yelling isn't the way to go.

When a hockey team is going south, my response is to work hard, focus, get determined. Our kids start tuning out, and that's not good. They zone out, we explain way too long because of their tendency to zone out, and then they screw up the drill right from the get go. Emotional reactivity, something to be avoided.

I'll be getting my hockey results from the road this weekend, not in person. On a bright side, head man Steve seems pretty loyal and I sense I wont get screwed over on the "Stipend" this season, even though I'm missing the critical month of FEB. I'll let things play out, prepare for anything.

2 comments:

  1. The most important point in your entry Tim:

    "I guess the goal now is to try and make it fun before we lose them entirely"

    At some point , when you realize that you have a team that simply is not going to be able to pull together for a winning season your goals must shift. For professional athletes, the old Lombardi maxim "Winning isn't everything; its the only thing" is highly motivational; for children it is not. For kids the Notre Dame slogan "Play like a champion today" is a more effective teacher. Children live in the moment. If they find joy in the moment, the "today" of the experience, they gain so much more than they do worrying about the final score or the team standings. To play like a champion means that you adopt the attributes of a winner, even if you don't win. Seek honor and fair play in the experience. This instills character and value in far more profound ways than the score, the mistakes or the final standings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tasha, good comment. Lombardi, Notre Dame, 4 Blocks of Granite at Fordham...can Rockne be far behind?

    ReplyDelete