Friday, July 16, 2010

Kingsolver Wisdom

60-something Mom Alice speaks to 40 yr old daughter Taylor in novel Pigs in Heaven. The beautiful Taylor has just complained about putting on a few pounds.

"Taylor, I have never heard you run yourself down before. You'd just as well jump off a bridge than to start in like that." Alice closes the washing machine lid and sighs. "When I was in my 30's and had these square little hips left over from being pregnant and I just hated it. I kept thinking, 'all those years, I had a perfect glamour girl body, and I didn't spend one minute appreciating it because I thought my nose had a bump on it.' And now I'm old and my shoulder hurts and I dont sleep good and my knuckles swell up and I think, 'All those years in my 30's and 40's I had a body where everything worked perfect. And I didn't spend one minute appreciating it because I thought I had square hips.' "

Taylor smiles. "I take your point."

2 comments:

  1. Tuned in to read about the funeral and found Kingsolver. Bravo Tim ! While I suspect this post is personally messaged- A big AMEN from the rest of us !! and now back to sports.....CNation

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey CN, no personal message there, just too truthy to ignore. Thanks for writing!

    Tim

    ReplyDelete