Saturday, August 20, 2011

Cup chase


Hangin in Newark Int'l, flight to CHI delayed which will tighten up my connection to Boise. Found a free WiFi spot next to McDonalds so I can chirp away the hours. Taking a couple of days to return to Sun Valley; this time there's a good excuse to carouse with the old gang---Lord Stanley will be dropping in. Yes, North America's most famous trophy comes to Wood River Valley thanks to Bruins equipment manager and former Sun Valley Suns player Beets Johnson. When the B's got to the finals the buzz amongst the boys that if the Bruins won and granted Beets his day he should spend it in Ketchum. They did, they granted, Beets chose Ketchum over Duluth, and I took the bait. I mean really, what hockey playing fan wouldn't want to party with Lord Stanley and the elder Sun Valley Suns? The fact that we all enjoyed a reunion this April at the USA Hockey national championships makes it an easier fit. I just need the travel Gods to cooperate, which is no slam dunk.

l'll post photos and quotes and maybe a g-rated video or two. should be fun. If it's not fun, then that's your story.

What's with Sun Valley? I played there for two years after college in the very early 1980's, came back several times with East coast teams the next few years, including 1991 in which I eloped with my current ex-wife. Have made 3 or 4 trips back since, but not in the last 8 years. This one should be a doozy. A lot of the old gang is still around (emphasis on OLD), some in respectable positions, some in the gutter, all with stories to tell. Hopefully I'll be paying attention.

No comments:

Post a Comment